Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sir Alex Ferguson Assaulted

In extracts from his new book, former Aberdeen striker Frank McDougall has spoken about the day he punched then manager Sir Alex Ferguson during training. Fergie lost the plot after the front man said he was fit enough to play a cup tie only to come off injured minutes into the game. McDougall goes on to explain the incident:

"Within seconds, Fergie was right in my face. It wasn't possible to get any closer. I was for it. I had a lot of respect for Fergie but I had learned a long time ago that, in a situation like this, you lash out first and ask questions later. Only problem was, I wasn't on the mean streets of Glasgow where I came from. I was at my 'work' and it was the boss in my face. But he had completely lost the plot and I wasn't for waiting to see what he was about to do. I lashed out. It was far from a bout-winning punch - more a 'half-dig'. I caught him on the side of the face and he went down like a ton of bricks. Of all the stupid things I had done in my life, putting Fergie on his a*** had just stormed straight into the charts at No 1. I gazed at my hand and then down at my boss. It was as though he'd fallen to the floor in slow motion. But he bounced straight back up as though on a trampoline and began screaming at the top of his voice. He was looking at one of our coaches, Teddy Scott, but shouting at me. 'F*** off McDougall, get to f*** back to Glasgow'. Then he told Teddy 'Get him out of here, he's f*****g finished'. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach. Beads of perspiration dripped from my brow and I was 100 per cent sure that I'd blown it."

McDougall saw sense and apologised to Fergie for the incident and was allowed back into the side.

Follow us on Twitter

Premier League Updates Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment